Saturday, December 2, 2006

Ghoul School (1990)


If you dig goofy ultra-low budget movies like "Flesh Eating Mothers," "Video Violence," "Bloodsuckers From Outer Space," and Troma shit, you might dig "Ghoul School" too. This movie has the same cheezy as hell fun b-movie feel as that stuff I mentioned. I was impressed by how much gore there was in this too, a gorefest! Blood squirting, poked eyes, torn limbs, wounds, meaty gore chunks, decapitated heads, and guts are here. Sure the effects are fake as fuck, but that adds more to the goofball cheeze-feel. The story involves the water at a school getting contaminated by two thugs that killed the obese janitor for some reason, which then leads to the swim team turning into people-killing Ghouls (apparently people with big teeth painted blue and bleed green). Two horror geeks, a lame heavy metal band, the basketball team, this one coach called "dick", and some other people end up getting stuck in the school. Pretty simple story. The movie then has a zombie-movie formula where people try to figure out what to do while flesheaters prey on them. People say stupid stuff to each other and gore ensues, you know what to expect. The dialogue is funny without trying too hard at being funny, cool old school punk and metal tunes, and Jackie "Joke Man" Martling manages to have a scene where he blurts out a bunch of jokes, haha, "What do you say to a woman with no arms or legs...NICE TITS!" Overall, I enjoyed this even though I didn't expect much out of it. It was made in 1990 and it still carried the innocent 80's b-movie spirit. The movie was short, only 72 minutes, IMDB says it's 90 minutes. I got this in a shitty Brentwood 4-pack called "Ghoul School" (the same 4-pack I got Filthy Mcnasty, ugh) so I wouldn't be surprised if it got cut to fit more movies on one DVD....although the Tempe release (the official release) is only 72 minutes long too. hmm, no clue how long it's suppose to be, but I was satisfied with what gore I saw.

2 comments:

Goreboar Nocera said...

Ghoul School, eh? I hope it didn't have any surfers in it? hahahahaa!!

Jose Gabriel Angeles said...

hahahaha, surfers actually pop in my head every time I think about the movie. No surfers though. Now Blue Crush, that's a surftastic mosh assault!