Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Seventh Curse (1986)


From the director of Story of Ricky, here's an 80's horror action/adventure/comedy gem filled with tons of crazy violent fights, cartoonish gore, and the greatest cheezy monster/ghost battle EVER! The story starts out when some guy tries to save this chick in a jungle from a bizzare sacrifice to a rotten skeleton zombie God. Because he interrupted this ritual, he gets a blood curse which makes his body suddenly burst blood like everyday (cool ain't it?). From then on him with the help of a badass warrior guy try to find the cure before he bleeds to death. He manages to get into some crazy shit like fighting kung-fu monks on top of a gigantic buddha statue (it's HUGE and even ends up bleeding blood like a waterfall from its eyes when they pull its eyes outs).

Because this is from the genius behind Story of Ricky, expect the comical gore and strange creatures. At one point in the movie, a tiny ghost creature that looks like part mutated fetus and part sperm battles that one skeleton zombie God that transforms into a big slimy flying monster that looks like an alien from Alien but beefier, the tranformation is mindblowing, I can't even put it in words so I just uploaded it to youtube here. This is simply the best monster battle I've ever seen. They fight until the ridiculously gory end when one of them gets ripped up into pieces literally. Things still end up getting gorier when Chow Yun Fat is armed with a bazooka and uses it...more than once! Chow Yun Fat used to be in some of the best Asian movies ever..now he does mainstream US gayness.

Other things worth mentioning is a chick cutting her boob to feed a guy a piece of it, that ghost creature bursting out of a guy's stomach (over here!), kids being crushed between huge stones so their blood can be used for rituals, a brutal booby trap that rips a guy in half in mid-air, and this one fat guy who's flesh starts falling off and then he rips open his stomach which spills a bunch of worms. There was also a great evil yet fun atmosphere cinematography-wise and there was a lot of skilled fight scenes, better kung fu than in Story of Ricky, although I still prefer Ricky, which is the goriest offering from Ngau Kai Lam. Well this movie is still simply brilliant anyways. I don't know if my copy was uncut though, I have the Universe Lazer DVD which was a pain in the ass to get cause it's OOP, the box said 81 minutes but the movie only played 77 minutes and that was even counting the credits. I've seen other reviews mention this flick as a CAT III before but my DVD said CAT II. IMDB lists it as a CAT II as well. I thought it was pretty damn gory for a CAT II film but if there's a CAT III uncut version out there (which I doubt but I'll look into), then goddamn I need that shit pronto!

1 comment:

SpÖoÖoky Steve said...

Wow, this looks like my kind of flick! I need to hunt this one down for sure! STORY OF RICKY is one of my favorite films ever...throw insane monsters like that into the mix and, obviously, the results are magical.

Haha I love that transformation scene so much...